Elsyca IntelliTool is a patented technology to locally control the voltage/current in a plating cell with the objective of achieving a more uniform layer thickness during an electrochemical metal deposition process. The real-time and dynamic control by Elsyca IntelliTool is based on upfront simulations for optimizing the process conditions to be imposed.
Elsyca IntelliTool can be integrated into new cell designs or incorporated in existing cells or plating tanks. A controllable matrix of anode segments is positioned at a small distance from the substrate. In the implementation as presented here, the anode segments comprise rods covered with an inert anode material like Pt or IrOx (MMO) depending on the application.
The Elsyca IntelliTool solution consists of:
- An optimization algorithm for finding the optimized current value (constant or transient) through each anode rod in order to yield the desired (e.g. uniform) deposition over the patterned or full active substrate. This matrix of current values is sent to the control unit (2).
- The control unit contains a microprocessor that reads the calculated matrix of current values, and controls an array of DAC's that impose the correct current to each individual anode segment. If needed an amplification of the current can be foreseen.
- An anode rod holder (e.g. printed circuit board with one or multiple contacting layers depending on the current to be fed through the anode segments and the number of anode segments) that connects each rod individually to the feeding network through a series of connectors.
This solution allows obtaining a very uniform deposit thickness distribution over a substrate while drastically reducing the process time, almost regardless of its electro-active pattern layout and / or internal resistivity.
Typical applications include:
- the compensation of the pattern dependency for copper plating of printed circuit boards or patterned wafers;
- counteracting the terminal effect for copper, nickel and gold plating on wafers with a very thin seed layer;
- improvement of the deposit thickness uniformity and deposition speed for plating processes on complex 3D structures, for example platinum plating on turbine blades.