Civil structures made of reinforced concrete are subject to corrosion when the rebar is wetted by ingression of water. Any form of corrosion will not only affect the aesthetics but also the integrity of the construction.
When concrete structures age with time, the water permeability increases and the corrosion products will eventually cause the concrete cover to spall off. Repair operations are expensive and complex and in most cases have a limited life expectancy.
The corrosion risk of rebar can be reduced by applying cathodic protection that counteracts the corrosion attack, but the CP design is critical since the high resistivity of the medium impacts the cathodic protection effectiveness. Most CP systems are embedded in the concrete during casting and hence a proper solution must be determined up-front, front, since there will be no opportunity to easily change the design.
Elsyca can help with:
- prediction of expected corrosion rates on rebar;
- optimum selection of the type of CP system (sacrificial vs. impressed current) with cost-benefits;
- support and advice in determining the CP design substantiated by objective simulation results;
- supply of the required materials, incl. online remote monitoring;
- inspection of installed system performance, incl. reporting;
- evaluating CP performance of existing systems by on-site measurements.